3.03.2008

Musings on Emerging Tech Tools

I had an opportunity to check out some interesting online resources. In fact, I kept changing my mind of what online tool to present as I explored the other tools.

First I checked out Comiqs.com which appears to very similar to Plasq's Comic Life software that comes as a software bundle with Macintosh computers. With Comiqs, you can integrate pictures from your Flickr account as well as utilizing the library (not sure where these pictures are from - perhaps from subscribers?), or from your computer. Sharing your creation is a forte of Comiqs which unfortunately also happens to be a weakness. After perusing the archives, I noticed some questionable content in both pictures and text - most inappropriate for middle school students.

Next, I checked out Animoto.com which allows one to create a video from photos (more like a slideshow with music) selected from your accounts on Flickr, Facebook, Smugmug, Picasa, and Photobucket or retrieved from your computer. Music can be added from their small library or uploaded from your computer. A video with music can be completed in three easy steps within less than an hour. I couldn't come up with any ideas on how to use this in the classroom.

Finally, I perused Teacher Tube. Similar to You Tube, the focus was on instructional videos and most of them were from created by educators. I really liked the idea of being able to share instructional videos with like-minded educators as being able to communicate via email and blogs. This was definitely something I could utilize in a instructional setting.

3 comments:

Denise Henry said...

Nice Bloggerino!

I wonder how much play Teacher Tube will get since there's so much educational content on You Tube. It's kind of a bummer that schools block You Tube. I feel like we should teach students how to discriminate between appropriate and inappropriate content instead trying to control what they can access.

Terri Linman said...

Sounds like everyone should help children evaluate information, check for accuracy and question what they read. Could be combined with a lesson on propaganda too!

I enjoyed your thoughts and related to your desire to learn about many new technologies. I would have had trouble selecting only one also!

rrksevilla said...

I wholeheartedly agree that as educators we should teach our students how to discriminate between appropriate and inappropriate content.

Unfortunately, there are some parents and administrators who make the policies on what is deemed appropriate and block certain Internet sites.

One of my instructional units at school include evaluation of Internet sources and the objectives of certain websites.